- It is the only society in the world which
has never known slavery.
- India invented the Number System. Zero
was invented by Aryabhatta. The place value system, the decimal
system was developed in India in 100 BC.
- The World's first university was established
in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the
world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built
in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient
India in the field of education.
- Sanskrit is considered the mother of all
higher languages. Sanskrit is the most precise, and therefore suitable
language for computer software - a report in Forbes magazine, July
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine
known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda
2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place
in our civilization. It is the only system which takes the holistic
view of the person being treated.
- Although modern images of India often
show poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country
on earth until the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher
Columbus was attracted by her wealth and was looking for route to
India when he discovered American continent by mistake.
- The art of Navigation was born in the
river Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived
from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken
by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer
Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484
- The value of "pi" was first calculated
by Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the
Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long
before the European mathematicians.
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came
from India. Quadratic equations were propounded by Sridharacharya
in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans
used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53(10 to
the power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BC during
the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12(10
to the power of 12).
- According to the Gemological Institute
of America, up until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds
to the world.
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation
was built in Saurashtra. According to Saka King Rudradaman I of
150 BC a beautiful lake aptly called 'Sudarshana' was constructed
on the hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.
- Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was reportedly
invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600
years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated
surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures,
urinary stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery.
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in
ancient India. Over 125 surgical equipments were used. Detailed
knowledge of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion,
metabolism, genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest
dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture
in the Sindhu Valley Civilization.