Facts About Ancient India:
- It is the only society in the world which
has never known slavery.
- India invented the Number System. Zero was
invented by Aryabhatta. The place value system, the decimal system
was developed in India in 100 BC.
- The World's first university was established
in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the
world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built
in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient
India in the field of education.
- Sanskrit is considered the mother of all
higher languages. Sanskrit is the most precise, and therefore suitable
language for computer software - a report in Forbes magazine, July
- Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine
known to humans. Charaka, the father of medicine consolidated Ayurveda
2500 years ago. Today Ayurveda is fast regaining its rightful place
in our civilization. It is the only system which takes the holistic
view of the person being treated.
- Although modern images of India often show
poverty and lack of development, India was the richest country on
earth until the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher
Columbus was attracted by her wealth and was looking for route to
India when he discovered American continent by mistake.
- The art of Navigation was born in the river
Sindh 6000 years ago. The very word Navigation is derived from the
Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from Sanskrit
- Bhaskaracharya calculated the time taken
by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer
Smart. Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: (5th century) 365.258756484
- The value of "pi" was first calculated by
Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean
Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century long before the European
- Algebra, trigonometry and calculus came
from India. Quadratic equations were propounded by Sridharacharya
in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans
used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53(10 to the
power of 53) with specific names as early as 5000 BC during the Vedic
period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12(10 to the
power of 12).
- According to the Gemological Institute of
America, up until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to
- The earliest reservoir and dam for irrigation
was built in Saurashtra. According to Saka King Rudradaman I of 150
BC a beautiful lake aptly called 'Sudarshana' was constructed on the
hills of Raivataka during Chandragupta Maurya's time.
- Chess (Shataranja or AshtaPada) was reportedly
invented in India.
- Sushruta is the father of surgery. 2600
years ago he and health scientists of his time conducted complicated
surgeries like cesareans, cataract, artificial limbs, fractures, urinary
stones and even plastic surgery and brain surgery.
- Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient
India. Over 125 surgical equipments were used. Detailed knowledge
of anatomy, physiology, etiology, embryology, digestion, metabolism,
genetics and immunity is also found in many texts.
- When many cultures were only nomadic forest
dwellers over 5000 years ago, Indians established Harappan culture
in the Sindhu Valley Civilization.